Monday, September 06, 2004

Getting back into the gym

I've started getting back into the gym recently. With me, fitness is kind of an all-or-nothing affair. By this I mean that I'm either going 4-5 times a week, or I'm going 4-5 times a year. It'd probably be better if I just went a couple of times a week and did this consistently for years and years, but I just don't have the commitment for such a long term fitness plan. So, if I am feeling super-keen I always take advantage of this and go as often as possible, which for the moment has meant 5 times/week for the past two weeks.

The first few visits, and the first one in particular, were killers. I didn't even do much, but after several years of not visiting the gym, I was pretty unfit. :( Now, after a fortnight of regular workouts, I'm doing much better. :)

I had been been finding the cardio machines especially un-fun. I had just assumed it was because I was too unfit to hack it, but yesterday I discovered that it was actually just because I was too bored. What am I talking about? Well, let me explain. Yesterday I took my trusty little iPAQ 3970 along with the intention of entertaining myself while on the exercise bike. This meant I could do stuff like read the news, read email, and play games. I found that I was able to spend twice as long on the cardio machines and I felt completely fine. So I concluded that I was more bored than unfit! ;)

Peter asked if people at the gym thought the iPAQ was weird. Nobody seemed to notice or care. Most people there had discmans or iPods, I don't think this is much different. Actually, I think iPAQs are better!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should stop eating pop tarts while you go to the gym!

Peter