Thursday, January 06, 2005

Cinemas in London

Peter and I went to the cinema last night. It was the first time I'd been to a cinema in London. Based on this one visit I made a few observations about how cinemas in London are different to cinemas in Australia.

  • The tickets are more expensive in London (converts to about $AUD19).
  • The cinemas have reserved seating.
  • There are far more advertisements before the film -- and by advertisements, I'm not talking about previews (which I like), I'm talking about boring ads for products and stuff.
  • The audio is louder, particularly during the advertisements.
BTW, the film we saw was Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I read the first couple of books of this series years ago. It was weird to see three novels condensed into one 108 minute film. It was also weird to see stuff out of order, e.g. there were scenes from the end of the first book which were shown after scenes from the third book. Fortunately they made it work though, and viewers would be none the wiser if they had not read the books.

No comments: