Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Scrabble World Championships 2005

This article is now quite old. I had meant to post it ages ago. Oops.

There are two reasons I wanted to post this article about the Scrabble World Championships. One reason is that I love Scrabble. It's a great game and so much fun. Well, if you like word games that is, which I do.

The other reason is because it reminded me of speedcubing. There certainly are some parallels between competitve Scrabble and competitive speedcubing. I'm sure any of the competitive speedcubers reading it will see what I mean!

The two activities have actually proven to go quite well together. My speedcubing buddy, Dan Harris, is the current UK speedcubing champ and and is doing quite well in his recent adventures in competitive Scrabble. Also, ever since we discovered we both like Scrabble, whenever we meet up we always have Scrabble games going in the background in between our speedcubing sessions.

spinning Rubik's Cube

1 comment:

Michiel van der Blonk said...

I would love to see what people think these parallels are. I have no clue, but I do realize that I have always liked word games tremendously, Scrabble included. I haven't really found enough people to enjoy scrabble with, and since English is not my native tongue I'd suck at it in online games. Maybe scrabble is a permutation puzzle?