Saturday, November 20, 2004

Bought my first ebook

I bought my first ebook earlier this week - The Da Vinci Code.

While I have regularly used my iPAQ for reading email, news sites and blogs, I have always been skeptical of ebooks. Did I really want to read hundreds of pages on a little iPAQ screen? Up till last Monday I thought 'probably not', but with the arrival of my new iPAQ 4705 (with VGA screen) imminent, I decided it was time to give it a go.

I had already chosen a book, so that part was easy, however I still needed to select an ebook reader app. There are several out there (e.g. Mobipocket, eReader, Microsoft Reader, µBook, Starbuck, TinyReader) and I didn't really know much about any of them. So, I went to Jenneth's site to look for an ebook reader review.

I ended up installing the trial version of Mobipocket on my iPAQ 3970 (my 4705 had not arrived at that point) and it was fine.

A few days later I tested out Mobipocket on my new 4705. Ew! It wasn't recognising VGA and so the text looked kinda crappy. Fortunately, I was already aware of this issue and knew how to fix it. During my ebook reader research I had read that Tweak2K2's VGA Brute Force hack would make Mobipocket display properly, so I installed it and order was restored. Yay!

No comments: